I am so excited about this post, one I can very confidently call a success!
Planning a wedding is not easy, especially not having a professional wedding planner or unlimited funds to just buy whatever you want. If you have ever been in that position you can definitely relate!
On top of this, having food allergies and planning a wedding is definitely not easy… I have been working with the reception restaurant very closely to develop a menu and find meals that are (hopefully) tasty, food allergy-friendly, and fit into my health conscious views to serve to me and my family and friends. Starting off a marriage with as a sick wife would not be my idea of a sexy wedding night!
Immediately when I first started planning my wedding I knew I would likely have to make my own wedding cake. Not being the most enthusiastic baker this definitely added some stress on my shoulders. But being allergic to gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs, potato, tapioca, teff, and not doing well with grains of any sort, would make finding a baker willing to take this challenge difficult. So I began scouring the internet for recipes, searching for “paleo cakes” was the best way to bring up close to possible recipes.
Stacy, a recipe developer and baker creates amazing baked goods that are also often paleo or gluten free. Just from here gorgeous photos I knew this cake had to be a winner.
Check out the original recipe for instructions on her website HERE
Below are my adapted ingredients:
For the Carrot Cake
- 1½ cups blanched almond flour
- 1¼ cups arrowroot starch
- 6 tablespoons organic coconut flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 large DUCK eggs (I am allergic to chicken but have been doing well with duck eggs in small doses;) yay! )
- 2 flaxseed eggs (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water = 1 egg)
- 1¼ cups organic light agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrot
- ¾ cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup coarse-fine chopped fresh pineapple
Next time I am also going to add
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raisins to cake
- Decorate top with Chopped Walnuts
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon Palm Oil (she used palm shortening which I will use next time to keep my frosting white, but I felt like experimenting and adding a little color this time 😉
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup organic coconut butter, melted
- ½ cup organic raw honey
- Pinch sea salt, optional
- 5 drops Vanilla Creme stevia extract
This cake was SERIOUSLY delicious. So rich and flavorful, my body doesn’t experience desserts often so I could definitely only handle a little!
- Of Course my Wedding Cake is going to be MUCH prettier than this!!! But I did what I could this time 😉
This was a One-and-Done Cake trial! My fiance was pleased and I am pleased, so delicious Carrot Cake it is!!
Definitely give this recipe a Go – Stacy was a real Master on this one!!